Have you ever gone to the Gold Coast Show? The three-day Gold Coast Show (September 1 to 3) is a community-driven celebration of Queensland’s second-largest city’s agricultural past and diverse modern culture.
But, before that, the Gold Coast Show has a rich and proud history that dates back to the early twentieth century.
The Gold Coast Show
The Show was initially The Southport Show and was hosted in the Recreation Reserve, now known as Woodroffe Park in Southport. It featured exhibits ranging from fruits, vegetables, and flowers to commodities made in the area to support the many Brisbane-based visitors visiting the small beach community daily.
The Show remained at this location, expanding its scope to include animal exhibits and an equestrian event until it outgrew the venue and relocated to Owen Park in 1919. The Show was renamed The Southport A&H Show in 1930, The South Coast Show in 1952, and The Gold Coast Show in 1959.
There were still improvements over the years, and in 2019, the Gold City Council supported the Show’s relocation to Broadwater Parkland for another four years, assuring the continuance of this much-loved community event. Every year, the Gold Coast Show features spectacular fireworks displays, a circus, an animal nursery, show bags, a wood chop competition, equestrian events, a sideshow alley, visual arts and home crafts displays, as well as stage shows, roving entertainment, and a free entertainment package that changes each year.
So, what can we expect from the Gold Coast Show in 2023?
Prepare for an incredible eruption of entertainment in 2023! The Gold Coast Show features a fantastic lineup as the Triple M Loud and Live stage comes to life. Immerse yourself in the rhythms and melodies that will arouse your senses as local bands, musicians, and performances wow you.
Aside from the Triple M Loud and living stage, the event will have roaming entertainment. Furthermore, you may encounter living dinosaurs that will transport you back to prehistoric times.
The Gold Coast Show is complete with popular agricultural demonstrations. Witness farmers’ expertise and passion as they demonstrate the finest of their craft, reminding us of our community’s rich agricultural legacy.
Aside from entertainment, there will also be arts, equestrian, home crafts, show dogs, and wood chop competitions.
- Arts: The Gold Coast Show’s Arts Competition will return in 2023 with renewed vigour and originality. Photography, Painting, Indigenous Art, Drawing, Glass Craft, Ceramics, Pottery, and Sculpture are among the competitions.
- Equestrian: Prepare to be surprised by the exceptional horsemen and women’s exhilaration and skill as they navigate challenging obstacles with unparalleled precision and agility. They exhibit the craft of showjumping with flawless timing and unrelenting attention.
- Homecrafts: The Homecrafts competitive offers approximately 200 competitive classes, including general entry, junior, novice, and senior classes. Some notable competitions include cooking, cake decorating, crocheting, hand knitting, and machine sewing/embroidery.
- Show Dogs: Take advantage of the much-anticipated Show Dogs Competition. Top-tier dogs of all kinds and sizes vie for the ultimate championship in this traditional show event, highlighting the exceptional talent and beauty of the four-legged companions. Witness the fantastic tricks, immaculate grooming, and excellent obedience skills.
- Wood Chop: Woodchopping is always a crowd-pleaser at the Show. Catch the incredible demonstration of raw talent in this electrifying sport that captures the real spirit of the Australian bush and the time-honoured skill of woodchopping and sawing, with eager fans cheering on the mighty men and women who take up the axe.
There’s a lot for the whole family to do at the Show.
- Pony Rides: This fantastic experience will fulfil your child’s wish. The Armland Precinct, located at the northern extremity of Broadwater Parkland, will offer pony rides.
- Camel Rides: The Gold Coast Show’s camel ride is a popular feature. The Broadwater Parklands provides the ideal setting for the famous camel rides returning this year at the Broadwater Parklands’ southern end.
There will also be games like Catch A Croc, Tin Can Alley, and more for everyone to enjoy, as well as rides like The Beast, Tornado, and more.
Book Your Accommodation
Prepare to have a good time at the Gold Coast Show! Make accommodation reservations to relax, unwind, and enjoy the three-day event.
Boulevard Towers Broadbeach provides Gold Coast accommodation with a relaxing coastal atmosphere. Boulevard Towers offers contemporary yet spacious one- and two-bedroom apartments with fully furnished kitchens and laundry facilities, Foxtel, free WiFi, and first-rate amenities. Our apartments offer private balconies where you can relax, enjoy the fantastic beach and ocean views, or go across the street to feel the sand under your toes!
Book your stay at Boulevard Towers today!